If your mornings consist of a cup (or more) or coffee, a subtle sweet tooth and roaring hunger, this is the smoothie that your morning routine has been missing.
Packed with protein and featuring leafy greens, caffeine and the perfect amount of chocolatey sweetness, this quick and filling breakfast smoothie will not only treat your tastebuds, but will give your body the nutrients it craves early in the morning.
What makes this smoothie recipe so special?
Well, a few things:
- Sweetened by banana, natural sweeteners and protein powder, you can rest assured that your sweet tooth is taken care of without flooding your body with added sugar.
- The addition of raw spinach gives this smoothie a nutritional boost without compromising on flavor.
- Whether you drink coffee for the caffeine or if you simply love the taste, this smoothie can be made with either regular or decaf cold brew, or even a blend of the two.
- Packed with high-quality whey protein, this smoothie can serve as a meal replacement or a late morning snack when hunger strikes. It will keep you full for longer and is easily digested.
- The beauty of this smoothie recipe is its adaptability. You can pick which natural sweetener you like the most, in addition to making it as creamy as you prefer. The key to creaminess is freezing coconut milk (or any milk of your choice) in an ice tray. Use the milk cubes in place of ice cubes for ultimate creaminess.
- 1 small ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- 5 – 6 ice cubes (freeze coconut milk or preferred milk, in ice tray for extra creaminess)
- ½ cup cold brew coffee
- ½ – 1 serving of chocolate enhanced whey protein isolate
- 1 – 2 tsp maple syrup, honey or agave
- ½ cup raw spinach
- Splash of favorite milk and additional, as needed
- Make sure to peel, slice and freeze a small banana overnight. If you are a frequent smoothie drinker, it is always good to have a stash of bananas in the freezer.
- Fill 5 – 6 holes of an ice tray with coconut milk, or your milk of choice. Freeze overnight for morning use.
- In the morning, put all of your ingredients in a high-speed blender. The more powerful the better! Blend until smooth and creamy, and add additional splashes of milk to shake things up if it appears too thick.
- Sprinkle with toppings of your choice and enjoy!