What are the benefits of incorporating seasonal produce into your diet?
Well, seasonal foods are fresher, more nutritious, and simply taste better than foods that are not in season.
Believe it or not, eating seasonally used to be the norm. Before large-scale regional and national grocers were a thing, you had no choice but to make your weekly produce purchases from local markets and vendors.
Today, some of the best restaurants in the world offer menus that change seasonally. Who is to say you can’t do the same in your kitchen?
Check out the following salad recipe and embrace the seasonality of spring the right way. If you have the opportunity to purchase any of these ingredients locally, do so! You will not only be supporting local businesses, but will guarantee that you get the freshest and most flavorful foods straight from the farm to your table.
SWEET & SAVORY SPRING SALAD
The art to making a phenomenal salad is in the toppings, texture, and the nutritional variety. This amazing salad has it all. Take the time to prepare the ingredients in the recommended ways and enjoy this nutritious meal for lunch or dinner through the spring.
- Handful of arugula
- Handful of kale
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 carrot
- ⅓ cup chopped beets
- ½ cup fava beans
- ½ avocado
- Sprinkle of olive oil
- Mild vinaigrette of your choice
- Protein of your choice
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the protein of your choice. Chicken, tofu, and shrimp are just a few options that would compliment this dish.
- Mix together your handfuls of arugula and chopped kale. Sprinkle it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Massage the greens for 2 to 3 minutes until they are slightly wilted.
- Chop up your carrots into thin rings and cut your beets up into small cubes. Set aside.
- Rinse off your fava beans (if from a can) and chop up your avocado.
- Add all of the toppings to the bed of greens and mix in a mild vinegar-based dressing of your choice. Be sure to go with one that is not too sweet and check the nutrition label, if store bought, to make sure there is minimal added sugar.
- Enjoy the seasonal flavors from the garden.